A Caveat and Affiliates
First off, a little caveat: within my articles you will find affiliate links, meaning if you buy them, I get a small commission. Your cost is not affected. In addition, I am an Amazon Associate and I earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon.
And yes, if I say that I recommend a product here, it means I truly believe it is a good product. I refuse to recommend any product that I have not researched and believe to be a good value.
Even better, I provide you with a very clear picture of the product, it’s use, and the probable value.
Earning your trust is important to me. I run this website myself and the commissions and donations help support the site.
Sound reasonable and fair enough? Let’s continue to the article.
- 1 Best Gunpowder Green Tea
- 1.1 QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE
Best Gunpowder Green Tea
Best Gunpowder Green Tea is One of the oldest teas in the world, you’ve probably tried gunpowder tea without even realizing it. This robust green tea is great hot or cold.
GUNPOWDER GREEN TEA
- Gunpowder green tea is one of the oldest teas in the world.
- It’s a Chinese green tea.
- Rolled into tightly formed beads, it’s also called pearl tea for its shape.
- Gunpowder tea with younger tea leaves is more precious than the gunpowder made with older, larger leaves.
- There are two stories about how gunpowder tea got its name. Some say that it’s because of the dark, pellet-like shape of the tea, and the other story is that it comes from the Chinese phrase for freshly brewed, “gang pao de.”
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
TO MAKE HOT GUNPOWDER TEA
- Loose or sachet gunpowder tea
- Filtered water
- Teapot with strainer
- Electric kettle with a temperature setting
TO MAKE COLD BREW GUNPOWDER TEA
- Loose or sachet gunpowder tea
- Filtered water
- Teapot with a strainer or cold brew pitcher
PREP TIME:2 mins
STEEP TIME:3 mins
TOTAL TIME: 5 mins
YIELD: 1 serving
Best Gunpowder Green Tea. (Hot)
Ok, this one is the hot one. So here is what you’ll need to do.
TO MAKE HOT GUNPOWDER TEA
TEA: 1 teaspoon loose gunpowder tea or 1 tea sachet
WATER: 1 cup (8 fl. oz.)
WATER TEMPERATURE: 175°F (Whatever Tempautre works for you is fine as well)
STEEP TIME: 3 minutes
STEP 1: Boil water.
Instead of just boiling tap water, go for filtered water. The tea only tastes as good as the water tastes.
I always use an electric kettle with a temperature setting to boil water, especially for green tea since water temperature makes a huge difference.
If you’re boiling water on the stovetop, turn off the heat as soon as it starts to simmer.
Boil some extra water to use for warming up the teapot.
STEP 2: Warm up the teapot.
Pour some boiled water into the teapot. Swirl it around to warm up the sides, then throw the water out.
TEA TIP: To brew tea properly, always pre-warm the teapot since it helps keep the water temperature stable when the tea is brewing.
STEP 3: Put gunpowder tea into a teapot and add hot water.
STEP 4: Cover teapot and steep for 3 minutes.
Steeping it for longer may result in a bitter tea so keep an eye on the time. Keep the teapot covered so that the water stays hot.
STEP 5: Strain gunpowder green leaves and pour hot tea into a teacup and enjoy!
Now It’s time to make the Iced Gunpowder Green Tea! Ready?! Let’s go!
STEP 1: Put gunpowder green tea and water in a pitcher or glass container.
Use cold or room temperature filtered water since there’s no need for hot water for cold brewing tea.
STEP 2: Cover the pitcher and put in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
STEP 3: Strain gunpowder green tea leaves and pour tea into a cup.
Ice is optional with cold brew because it’s chilled already, so you can add it if you like but there’s no need.
I always use simple syrup when I want to sweeten cold brew since it incorporates the best. To make it at home, just mix equal parts sugar and hot water until the sugar dissolves.
Time for another Tea Tip:
- Gunpowder tea has a longer shelf life than other green teas.
- If you’re looking for a basic green tea, this is a great one.
- Using water that’s too hot or steeping it for too long will definitely make this tea bitter.
- If you want to freshen it up, this tea (hot and cold) tastes great with fresh mint leaves.
QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE
What does gunpowder green tea taste like?
This tea is distinctly bold with a slightly smoky flavor.
Is there caffeine?
Yes. Gunpowder green tea does contain caffeine so I don’t recommend this tea as a tea for bed (which means, don’t take this tea if you’re wanting to fall asleep faster, try this recipe out for your go-to bedtime tea).
Loose tea, tea sachets, or tea bags?
Loose gunpowder tea is always the best quality followed by tea sachets.
Is gunpowder green tea a real tea?
Gunpowder green tea is a real tea because it comes from the camellia Sinensis plant. The only tea that comes from the camellia Sinensis plant is real. This means herbal teas aren’t real teas.
- 1 cup water + more to warm teapot for hot tea
- 1 teaspoon loose Gunpowder green tea
- Boil water. If using an electric kettle with a temperature setting, set it to 175°F. Heat a little more water than needed so that it can be used to warm up the teapot. If boiling water on the stove top, let it come to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
- Warm-up teapot. Pour some hot water into the teapot and swirl it around a bit. Discard the water.
- Put gunpowder tea into a teapot and add hot water.
- Cover teapot and steep for 3 minutes.
- Strain gunpowder tea leaves and pour the hot tea into a teacup.
To make the Cold brew Gunpowder Green Tea
1. Put gunpowder loose tea and cool or room temperature water in a pitcher or glass container. Use filtered water if possible for a better tasting tea.
2. Cover the pitcher and put it in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours. The best steep time is 6-8 hours.
3. Strain tea leaves and pour tea into a cup. Ice is optional since the tea is already cold.
Whoa! before you think “well that was short!” I have some info you might want to know before making this tea. Yes, Rebekah Has the Health Benefits of this tea. Keep reading for more. Here are 6 Health Benefits Best Gunpowder Green Tea, enjoy!
1. Weight loss
One of the major health benefits of most green tea is weight loss and gunpowder green tea is not an exception. Though, it works more effectively and allows you to burn up to 2X more calories than other green teas. Caffeine, catechins, and theanine in gunpowder green tea help to increase the metabolic activities of the body to burn out a larger amount of fat in no time.
2. Managing diabetes
Diabetes is one of the rampaging diseases that is affecting most individuals. Including gunpowder green tea in your daily diet will help to reduce your risk of having an increased blood-sugar level. Even if you are already battling diabetes, the catechins and alkaloids in gunpowder green tea can help to regulate the blood sugar level in your body.
3. Energy booster
Gunpowder green tea contains a higher caffeine content than other types of green tea which makes it a perfect energy booster for you to have efficient and productive daily activities. With a cup of gunpowder green tea each morning, then you are “good to go” the rest of the day.
4. Builds a stronger immune system
Gunpowder green tea contains polyphenols and antioxidants that help to build up the immune system of the body and make it war-ready to fight against infection, flu, cold, etc. your body will then be empowered to fight any pathogens that you are exposed to daily.
5. Reduces the risk of chronic diseases
From research, high cholesterol level in the body has been associated with various life-threatening diseases such as heart attack, stroke, arthritis, cancer, Alzheimer, etc. However, the antioxidants present in gunpowder green tea helps to keep the cholesterol level in the body at a balance.
6. Improved digestive process
Catechins in gunpowder green tea help to improve and increase the rate of digestion in the stomach. You don’t have to worry about constipation, bloated stomach, or any form of the digestive disease when you drink a cup of gunpowder green tea after each meal.
Best Gunpowder Green Tea has so many great benefits and those are 6 wonderful reasons to try this tea out next time you want a cup of nice tea.
And there you have it! two wonderful recipes ready for you to make and enjoy for yourself, and the top 6 benefits (reasons) on why you should try this tea out very soon.
I hope you loved reading about Best Gunpowder Green Tea, leave me your feedback and check out my other posts! But wait..there’s more! (see what I did there?) Anyway, I have a site I would love for you to check out. It’s a site that has so many stories to read. My mom writes most of it and is welcome to having you Yes you! Submit your own work, (don’t worry if it’s not that good) I have those days. But please click here to find out more.
Have a Great day, see you soon.